Let's Discuss: Multiple Intents

In our Office Hour ‘Multiple Intents: How to identify and Handle Them’ we have seen an introduction to the topic, a possible implementation approach in Teneo and started a discussion on how the topic is handled in projects.

Related articles to the topic:
Multi-Intent Recognition and Handling - Multi-Intent Recognition and Handling - Revisited - Knowledge Articles - Teneo Developers Community
Intent Disambiguation Setup - Intent Disambiguation Setup - Knowledge Articles - Teneo Developers Community

Ideas from the Discussion:

1. Observe
  • Logs of the bot
  • Data from other channels or previous projects
  1. Take Conclusions
  • What is the scope of multiple intents in my project?
  • What user experience do I want to design?
  1. Take action
  • Create User Story (around a relevant subset of intents)
  • Implement

Our joined Word Cloud:
word_cloud_intents

What are your thoughts on the topic?

1 Like

Interesting topic, thanks for compiling and sharing the information here. I wasn’t able to join the session yesterday, but I wanted to ask if you discussed different ways of giving preference to one intent over the other?

Could there also be situations where the combination of the detected intents would make you want to disregard one, even if it is one of the intents in the intent stack?

Hi @maiaa, great to see you around in the Forum!
The session was really fun yesterday, hope you can make it to our next Office Hour :slight_smile:

Regarding your question, we mentioned in the session one example which included two intents - one of them small talk related and one of them business-related.

How are you? I would like to book a flight

Maybe you would only want to actually trigger on the business-related intent here, and the small talk intent could be ignored.
Another point to think about is which intents in your project are actually used together by the end users and, based on that, what (multiple intent) user stories can improve the experience of having a conversation with your bot.
Were you also thinking in this direction? Or did you have different examples in mind?

I’ve added two lines of code in the article after some feedback I received,

activeFlows

See line 8-9 here. You can use this to recognize multiple intents only when the flow stack is empty. Thanks for the idea, @Lina !